Developer Installation Ubuntu (Lenny/Sid)
Installing GENESIS on Ubuntu requires executing the following major steps.
Note: Installation requires administrator privileges.
- Prepare and upgrade the system software.
- Download and install the DeveloperPackage.
- Install the software packages.
- Check if the installation was successful.
Prepare and upgrade the system software
- Install the following packages using the System -> Administration ->
Synaptic Package Manager menu.
- perl-CPAN (only required to run tests, see below)
- libexpect-perl (and its dependency perl-IO)
- monotone-0.44 (available as a statically linked binary from
Download and Install the DeveloperPackage
- Download the latest version of the DeveloperPackage, available from the
GENESIS package archive. It is called developer-release-label.tar.gz,
where release-label is the current release identifier.
- Change to the directory where you downloaded the file.
- Unpack the archive by typing “tar xfz
- Change to the directory with the content of the archive by typing “cd
- Configure by typing “./configure”.
- Compile by typing “make”.
- Install by typing “sudo make install”.
Install software packages
- Use the installer script to create the correct directory layout by typing
- Pull the archives of the source code by typing “neurospaces_pull”.
- Update the source code in the working directories by typing
- Generate make files by typing “neurospaces_configure”.
- Compile and install the software by typing “neurospaces_install”.
Check if the installation was successful
This step is optional but strongly advised.
- Run tests of all the packages and save tester output to a file by typing
“neurospaces_check >/tmp/check.out 2>&1”.
- Check the output by typing “less /tmp/check.out”. Importantly,
search for lines containing the string error_count.